Site Meter '); preview.document.close(); }
<[CDATA[]]>

« Home | Weapon of Choice Vs. Zombies: My Keyboard » | Start: Guild Wars » | Start: Second Life » | She Speaks! » | London Bombings » | Start: MGS3: Snake Eater Progressive Review » | Option 5 » | She Has No Voice » | It Was a Difficult Labour for Them Both » | I Would Scream, but I Prefer to Seethe with Barely... »

13 July 2005

Don't Do This to Me, Baby!

Oh my God. I almost had a fucking heart attack.

I was installing a rear exhaust fan, and when it came time to power everything on, I got a Disk Boot Error. Shite! I just about lost it. With everything I had to put up with in getting this machine running, I didn't want to deal with this nonsense again! It was asking me to boot from the CD, so I dutifully, but reluctantly, put my Windows XP CD in. The computer said that it couldn't detect a hard drive. WTF? I looked inside the case. The SATA plug did look ever so slightly crooked... I opened it up and made sure the SATA cable was fully in place. Check. Power up. Still wouldn't boot up. I very nearly cried. Instead of crying, I pleaded with my computer (aloud). Then I looked inside the case again. I thought, "It didn't detect a hard disk. Why would that be? What about power?" I checked the power, and... The power cable wasn't plugged in!

I didn't remember unplugging the power supply from the hard drive when I was installing the fan. However, my father was helping me rearrange the wires inside my case, using those plastic ties to make everything neat and orderly. He might have removed the power plug from the hard drive when I wasn't looking.

I plugged the power cable into the hard drive, and everything was fine. I didn't even have to reinstall anything. What a relief! Geez!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Isn't that the worst? I don't think you ever get past those moments, no matter how many of these things you build.

Could be worse, though. At least it gave you an idea of where the error was. When I swapped motherboards, it just gave me a generic kernel panic halfway into Windows boot every time. I had to hook the old board up outside the machine (looked like a computer dialysis) just to go online and figure out the problem.

"Isn't that the worst?"

"Could be worse, though."

Jesus, I can't write.

Wheeew. I don't know what I'd do if Angseth died on you. And I didn't even build her! I'm glad you got her working ok!

If Angseth died, I would have a cow. I would split open and issue forth an hideous, bloody, mutated, diseased, bovine creature. And I'd be dead, of course, because a cow is very large.

Like that image? Yeah. That's how much I didn't want her to be fucked up.

(FYI, to everyone else, I don't actually swear this much. I swear very rarely in normal conversation. This was just a slightly stressful situation. Cheers. ;-))

I am.. disturbed now... very disturbed.

Yeah, I've done the similar as well.

Here's another PC hell tale from my past:

http://www.webcosa.com/tosfh1.html


These things are making me more and more into a Mac person. I may become a 2 mini person before I get another PC :(

Corvus: It's definitely been a great learning experience, depsite the stress. It's actually a lot of fun, when things aren't going wrong!

Josh: Oh man, what a nightmare! But if you become a Mac person, what about games? :-O

I guess I'll just have to make them myself :)

Add a comment

 

About the Name

Page Summary

© Acid for Blood 2005 - 2006
Powered for Blogger
by Blogger Templates