Site Meter '); preview.document.close(); }
<[CDATA[]]>

« Home | Finish: Beyond Good & Evil » | Booth Babes » | Jessica Chobot » | Start: Pokemon Fire Red » | Patience » | Women and Games: Some Clarifications » | Hallelujah -- Progress! » | Only Peripherally Related to Gaming » | Easier Than I Thought » | Geeky Gamer Kids »

13 June 2005

Nintendogs is So a Game

Because: The Case of the Non-Game that Barked Like a Game

It's a very interesting review of the games design of Nintendogs. The review explains that Nintendogs is more game-like than people have been saying, it bearing many similarities to RPGs, in fact.

You know, ever since I heard about Nintendogs getting a perfect score in Famitsu, a feat that reportedly only three other games have ever accomplished in the history of the respected games mag (I don't know which games, so don't ask), I knew that part of the reason is because of the cultural context of the game; what Danc calls the "game anthropology".

Many Japanese people live in cities, which is prohibitive to keeping pets. Many Japanese people also lack the time to raise a live pet. Many Japanese people would like to experience having a pet. Having a virtual puppy like the one you can have in Nintendogs fulfills this desire. Also: no cleaning up pee and shit, no requirements to take it out for walkies, and no problems from animal control if you neglect it. Good times all round.

[Via Kotaku and Playgressive (Shush. I know I'm self-promoting. This is my blog, not yours! :-P)]


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...

Um... at the risk of ruining my reputation as a bad-ass hard-core type person... awww... I want to play this damn game! It looks fun and precious! I love puppies.

Add a comment

 

About the Name

Page Summary

© Acid for Blood 2005 - 2006
Powered for Blogger
by Blogger Templates